Taking stock of the foresight literature on the eight selected trends and in a process of the co-creation with the consortium partners, the project team has built four Health Scenarios, which present radically different visions on how the key trends could evolve and influence our health status in the future.
The table below compares the graphic representation of drivers’ evolutions and offers an overview over the strengths and weaknesses of each Scenario.
Please note: These arrows reflect the possible changes in each scenario, in comparison to the status quo of the trends in Europe. The indicators provide a benchmark to assess these changes.
1. Gini index is 0 for maximum income equality and 100 for maximum income inequality. Data reported here are available at http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=ilc_di12
2. This indicator is the ratio of the total income received by 20% of the population with the highest income and total income received by 20% of population with the lowest income. Therefore, the higher the value, the higher the level of inequality. Data reported here are available at ECHI - European Core Health Indicators webpage https://ec.europa.eu/health/indicators/echi/list_en
6. WHO, 2013. Health literacy is defined by WHO (2013: 4) "Health literacy is linked to literacy and entails people’s knowledge, motivation and competences to access, understand, appraise and apply health information in order to make judgements and take decisions in everyday life concerning health care, disease prevention and health promotion to maintain or improve quality of life during the life course”.
7. EC, 2014 a.
8. EEA, 2015. Air Quality in Europe – 2015.
10. Data here reported are available at ECHI - European Core Health Indicators webpage https://ec.europa.eu/health/indicators/echi/list_en
11. Data here reported are available at ECHI - European Core Health Indicators webpage https://ec.europa.eu/health/indicators/echi/list_en
12. Data here reported are available at ECHI - European Core Health Indicators webpage https://ec.europa.eu/health/indicators/echi/list_en